The Inaugural Meeting of the Board of Education was held on Wednesday, November 14, 2018. Trustee Ken Hamaguchi was elected as Chairperson of the Board of Education (Richmond), and Trustee Sandra Nixon was re-elected as Vice Chairperson of the Board.
The trustees for the 2018-2022 term consist of Norm Goldstein, Ken Hamaguchi, Heather Larson, Richard Lee, Sandra Nixon, Donna Sargent and Debbie Tablotney.
The Board of Education acts through corporate authority, that is as if it were a single person. The will of the Board is defined by Resolutions adopted by vote at a Board meeting. Individual trustees may bring any question, concern or suggestion to a Board meeting for discussion by trustees but only through Board resolution can action be taken. Individual trustees do not exercise authority or direct staff. In general, the following are the most important functions of the Board.
- Formulating and interpreting policies and by-laws.
- Delegating administrative authority.
- Deciding on educational and budget matters that cannot be legally delegated or that in the Board's judgment should be decided by the Board.
- Appraising the District's education, administrative and planning processes in light of the Board's stated goals.
- Administering public funds.
- Communicating with the citizens of Richmond for the benefit of the education of its children.
The Board of Education (Richmond) meets at 7pm in the Board Room at the School District Administration Offices, 7811 Granville Avenue, Richmond on the second and fourth Wednesday of each month, with a few exceptions.
Meeting agendas and reports are posted to our website on the Friday prior to each meeting. Minutes of meetings are posted to the website following approval at the subsequent meeting of the Board.